Saturday, December 5, 2009

Another Week of School

It’s Saturday afternoon, I’m exhausted and I’m in the computer lounge watching the Alabama vs. Florida game. It was intense in the first half but now Alabama has such a lead the mood is kind of lame. School is hard to talk about. I don’t know how the teachers come back day, after day to students who could care less. I had one student who told me that she doesn’t do any work ever. I asked her what’s the point of showing up. Her response was “I’m not old enough to drop.” It hurt so much to hear that. That the only reason she stays in school is because she’s not old enough to drop out.

It’s frustrating to work with kids that expect you to do all the work for them. I try to trick them into doing their work, but it’s difficult to do with essays, and after awhile you get so tempted to kick them out of the computer chair and just write it for them. I wouldn’t do it but it’s difficult. My team is affected by the lack of enthusiasm amongst the students. We dread having to work with certain kids because they don’t do anything. They just sit there, waiting it out, trying to get us to tell them what to type. This is Ameriku most accurately describes how I feel about some of these students.

Procrastination,

You’re here because you waited

Next time start sooner

In other news I learned that I’ve been writing senyus as opposed to haikus. Haikus can only be written in Japanese and are about nature. Senyus can be written in English and are usually in seventeen syllables or less, and don’t always have a five-seven-five format. I checked out a book from the library on haikus in attempt to improve my style.

I’m still in love with my team. I’m happy we held it together this week without our team leader. It was good to see that we’re self-sufficient. I didn’t think that I’d like them. I knew I’d like some of them, and that I’d be able to find common ground with all of them. However, I didn’t realize that I’d love them that I would want to spend time with them each individually and as a group. They are each in their own way so great, and so essential to the make up of our entire team. Well it’s time for crepes so I’m out!

No comments:

Post a Comment