Monday, December 21, 2009

It's the first official day of Winter Break

I'm in the computer lounge of 947 with my friend Michel, waiting. We're waiting for the time to pass, the sun to come out and for general happiness to return again. Today I was supposed to be working at Loaves and Fishes a local, homeless shelter but the opportunity fell through. Now, I'm enjoying the break. I had been working 10-12 hour days so it's nice to wake up at 9 and not have to worry about having anything important to do. I spent most of my time this morning looking up potential projects that might take on me and my friends last minute but it's not looking good. I'm hoping that Loaves and Fishes will change their mind, and decide that they have work for me and my friends to do.
This past week at school had been pretty stressful, the students were in finals and so we had bunch of kids trying to finish their essays that they should have completed 3 months ago. On top of the that we had to finish our end of the year logs so it had been pretty busy all week. My team is starting to open up more and communicate their feelings, which is definitely important when you are in a live/work environment.
Christmas is fast approaching and I am scrambling to get gifts together. I kind of dropped the ball this year, as I haven't really had a way to get to the mall, had time to make anything or to get to the post office. I need to get some stamps quick though so I can send out my second annual Holiday Greeting Card which I will be happy to post here after all of my intended recipients receive them.
My friends have returned from their respective projects so it has been really great being able to hang out with them and catch up. Their experiences are vastly different, and it's interesting to note that even though we're in the same program no single person will have the same experience. We all react differently to our new projects, not many of us are sent to the same location and most of the projects we are working on vary. For example, I'm working at a high school, while Chase is working at a elementary school, Michel works clearing and creating trails in Washington, and Monica is clearing trails in San Diego.
Their stories are very different but it's great to hear about what they've been up to. Most of my friends have left for their respective homes for Christmas break, while I'm here with only a few friends who will be spending the holidays with me.
The only crazy thing that has happened as of late is that sprinklers broke on the first floor of my building, and the building was flooded. My friend Stu lost his laptop, but most of everyone's belongings was saved or salvaged. The hallway smells of wet towels. It was probably not the best way to start of Winter Break. But I'm sure that this break will be full of opportunities and experiences as soon as I stop trying to find a last minute ticket home.

Wish me luck,
Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment