Tuesday, March 30, 2010

The end of round 2

I’m writing my team leader application. I am applying to AmeriCorps NCCC for another year. I know that I am capable of taking on this role, especially after I complete my term. I just hate filling out applications and often wait until the last minute.

It’s been quite sometime since I’ve updated. (I wrote this one before I wrote the last one and then posted them out of order, but any who).The Community Center Toy, Food and Clothing drive went well considering the obstacles we faced along the way. We were able to collect clothing toys and food for the kids of the community center and the center will distribute them to the families who will benefit from them.

We’re leaving soon. Thursday, April Fool’s day. Part of me wishes that it would be a giant April Fools that we’re leaving at all. I really like it here and I really enjoy this project. This space has become really special to me for some reason and I will be sad to leave my beautiful construction paper mountains. I hope that one day I will be able to live in a place this gorgeous.

I’ve learned a lot during this spike.

I’ve enhanced my construction abilities including: how to shingle a roof, how to install door knobs, how to paint, and how not to paint, how to dig trenches, how to rip up trees with out anything but gloves, how to frame a house, how install towel racks and toilet paper holders, and how to frame a door.

I also learned some unexpected things, like: always check your shoes for beatles, dogs have the ability to turn your day around, when playing games with kids always follow their rules (it’s more fun for them), if you draw something for one kid you will have to draw it for at least three more, always wear safety glasses when painting over head, appreciating what you have is often times better than chasing what you don’t, sedimentary mountains will crumble under your finger tips if you cling too tightly, having access to the internet is not as important to me as I initially thought (although watching Lost is still high priority), completing monotonous tasks is a good time for to listen to books on tape and lectures, walking through the desert at night is often more fun than walking through a city late at night, and finally fear can only hold you back.

I am forever grateful for this place, for this experience, it is in many ways defining for me as a person.

No comments:

Post a Comment