Wednesday, May 19, 2010

An Ameri-Update

There are 69 days left of AmeriCorps. Grandmother Pens always told me not to count today because it's already happened. Which means I have 69 days to figure out what exactly it is that I'm going to do next. I have a plan and a back up plan, and a back up plan for the back up plan. I'm kind of a planner. I don't like feeling lost and unsure. I enjoyed this adventure, but I'm happy to finally have an end in sight. Our final round projects have been revealed and I will be living four miles away working with St. Bernard Project, re-building houses for people who lost their homes in the floods of Katrina. It will be nice to learn new skills and be building houses again. I have really enjoyed this project and I'm sad that I won't be able to finish out the year with RSD. It would have been the best project to end on. Fortunately, St. Bernard Project is an Ameri-favourite so I'm not really missing out too much.

I don't really know what else to say other than: I'm kind of hoping that we have a composite team offered up for round 4. If not I will be happy to finish out the year with my team, if so I will be happy to apply to work on disaster relief. I really wanted to do some disaster relief this year. Although, I didn't really want to wish for disasters. But they have happened so the possibility for a composite team is more likely now than it was before the flood in TN, the tornadoes in Arkansas and the oil spill in the gulf.

In the end, I'm happy to be able to work and do good regardless of what it is. I'm excited to finish out this program and return to a somewhat normal life.... although I doubt that I'll have a "normal" job for a year or so. I am kind of planning on doing something different and that I won't be able to do once I am a fully fledged adult. Basically, I want another year or two without a career. I'm hoping my plans work out. I'm praying they will.

No comments:

Post a Comment