Sunday, July 11, 2010

Disaster Relief Reflection

Music City will forever hold a place in my heart. This experience made my year; this will be what I bring up when talk about AmeriCorps NCCC. I will tell people about crawling underneath crawl spaces removing ductwork still wet from a flood that happened two months prior. I will talk of families endlessly thanking my teammates and I for our efforts. I will smile brightly as I recall being covered head to toe in what I like to think of as mud, although knowing it may have been more than that. I will tear slightly as I remember the homeowners telling me their stories of how they lost nearly everything to the rain. I will remember their resilience, their hospitality and their appreciation for our work. This was what I signed up for. This experience reminded me of why I wanted to be in AmeriCorps NCCC; I wanted to help people and I wanted to make a difference. I am proud to say that I was able to accomplish that.

No comments:

Post a Comment