Thursday, January 21, 2010

New Project and more reflection

So, I’ve been writing letters lately. Lots of letters, letters to myself, letters to friends, letters to family, letters to people, letters galore. The unfortunate thing with writing letters is that I end up not writing blogs. I justify slacking off on this blog with letter writing, because it’s “still writing”. Anyway here is an update:

My team found out our next project, we’re going to Mecca, Ca to build houses with the Coachella Valley Housing Coalition: http://www.cvhc.org. I’m looking forward to the change of pace and scenery. Mecca is a census-designated place (CDP), which means it’s too small to have a government of any kind but it’s populated enough that it has to have a name for census purposes. My team has taken to Google mapping Mecca and scoping out the town on street level. There isn’t much to the lay out of Mecca. There is a post office, a school and Sports Center. I’m excited to spend two months in a town of that size. It will definitely be a new experience.

A lot of what happens in AmeriCorps NCCC is hard to explain. Everything happens really fast and situations change so frequently it’s hard to keep up. Often times I begin to tell someone a story only to realize that the previous week I had a completely different attitude about the subject. It is sometimes jarring to be in this kind of atmosphere. But it is rewarding overall. I know in the end I will be a very flexible person. It’s hard not to go through a program like this, and not come out a changed person. I am interested in seeing the end results, but the overall process is jarring and often emotionally draining. Because we live and work so closely with each other it is hard not to get annoyed, or be excited about hanging out with each other. The problem is that everyone is on different schedules. I could be cool with one of the members on my team, but they could be upset with me or vice versa. Then there is the whole outside factor. We are often excluded from our home lives, but when we are included it’s usually for big events. Unfortunately, this past weekend a lot of people got a lot of big news, and none of it was good. These kind of scenarios play on me emotionally. I am holding up, better now than earlier this week, but this is the kind of stuff that sucks about a program like this. It’s hard to have to work long hours 5-7 days a week when you are physically, mentally, and spiritually exhausted. Fortunately, I have the fortitude to withstand these types of blows.

It’s Midnight and I have work tomorrow. Only 7 days left of school, and I have a habitat build on Saturday so that’s good news.

Take care,

Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment