Thursday, January 28, 2010

Tomorrow is our Last day in Woodland.

Tomorrow is our last day working with the Woodland Joint Unified School District. Overall my project in Woodland, Ca was relatively successful. I tutored a number of students and connected with people that I wouldn't have been able to meet otherwise. I also learned more about the education system and have a more solid foundation of what I want to do with my life. I can see a need for the non-profit that I want to start. I have increased my respect for teachers but I have decided that it's not a good profession for me personally. It is amazing what teachers have to put up with. I'm happy I was allowed a brief into the education system, and I'm even happier that it was only two months long.

I look forward to building houses in Mecca, Ca and I'm so stoked that I was chosen to be the person who gets to work in the Community Center for half the day everyday. I was picked because I was the most vocal about wanting the position, but still. It will be cool to get to work hard in the morning building houses and play hard in the afternoon with kids that range from 5-18. I was fortunate enough to be able to work on a house with Habitat for Humanity this past weekend. We framed the side of a house and me and Syd the Kid (a really awesome girl on my team), cut 179 pieces of wood. I was sore this whole week from the experience but it felt good. The great thing about building is that it’s a lot easier to measure your progress. It’s much more difficult measuring your progress in the educational system.

We’re getting kicked out so I have to go but maybe I’ll finish this tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment