Monday, November 16, 2009

Our Projects Started today!

Today was our first day on the Job. My team Blue 4ious is working at Pioneer and Woodland High Schools in Woodland, Ca. We are tutoring and mentoring students throughout the day. The learning center where we're working was established 16 years ago by this lad Irma who took it from one room and one tutor at Woodland to over 80 tutors at Woodland High School alone, not to mention she's opened several sister programs in High Schools in Woodland, and the surrounding counties. She partners with UC Davis Students who tutor several times a week at the school. She is a very passionate woman, and I hope that if I ever accomplish my dream of opening a non-profit, I have the same passion and pride in my creation 16 years down the line. I'm kind of surprised Irma isn't an National Civilian Conservation Corps member as her main focus was getting things done, and we were thrusted into tutoring first thing. It was stressful, but cool. I feel better about my abilities to get involved straight away. I'm excited to watch myself grow over the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment