Thursday, November 5, 2009

Phase 1 Project Revealed!

Despite all the challenges that life can bring right now it seems simply perfect. It’s not always sunshine and happiness; in fact, I spent the two previous days fuming about the little things. About not getting any position that I had requested, and griping about someone in the program I’m not particularly fond of. Complaining about it didn’t really make the situation any better, in fact for the most part, everything felt worst. For whatever reason I woke up the other morning and was like this is going to be a good day. And it was a great day, the sun was shining, I did well in PT, I hung out with friends, and I found out my first project. We’re working at two high schools in Woodland, CA mentoring and tutoring High School kids. We’re trying to encourage them to stay in school. I’m so stoked about this. I wanted a youth project so bad. Just one, and I’d be fine and I got my one youth project first round.

I’m happy I get to stay on campus first round two because more than likely I’ll be going off base for 2nd, 3rd and 4th rounds. So I have the added bonus of knowing my surroundings. Staying in one place longer than 6 weeks, I haven’t stayed in one place since I moved out of Tallahassee. I also get to have Internet, cable, and the benefit of hanging out with the other teams on campus.

Today I only had Project Outreach Liaison training; it’s my only specialty role. It’s a good role for me because I’ll get to network with Nonprofits all year, and I was seriously thinking about either going into nonprofit management or child psychology. So I think my career path was just kind of decided for me. My heart has been racing after this dream job for about two years now, so I might as well just dive head first into it and worry about the messy stuff later.

Tomorrow our project is Weed Warriors, where we will spend the day removing invasive species from a creek. I’m hoping I get to wear one of those rubber suits. I think it will make it way better. Pulling weeds is one of my least favourite activities, but I’ll find fun it somehow. I always seem to manage to find joy in the little things.

The weather here is gorgeous. If I were to pick somewhere too live solely based on climate this would be the place. It’s warm but not hot, with a nice breeze every now and again. It hardly rains and the leaves change colors, so there are seasons! I love seasons. Weather should change; it’s unnatural to maintain a state of hot or cold. I enjoy sunshine, but sweltering heat in November is not fun for me. So this place is perfect. I need to upload pictures but it doesn’t seem like that will happen any time soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment