Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Goodbye WJUSD and Hello CVHC

We finalized our project with the Woodland Joint Unified School District. I’m both saddened and relieved to move on to our next project. I will definitely miss the students and staff of Woodland, High School. I’m not so sure I will miss tutoring. Although it was rewarding, tutoring had enough frustrations that I could live my entire life never showing a student how to simplify polynomials or write a slightly better than mediocre essay. I do, however, love working with youth, just not academically. I keep emphasizing this, if you haven’t noticed. I think it’s because I do slightly enjoy working in education. It’s rewarding in some ways, but I don’t want to be a teacher. I think that teachers are important they’re necessary and they need to receive more recognition for their work. But, I do not want to spend my life in as a teacher; I have too many frustrations with education in the U.S. and I can’t imagine my life trying to work within that system. Instead, I want to work around the education system.

This project solidified my desire to create my non-profit. I feel that there is a strong need for an organization that encourages teachers to incorporate more creative projects in their curriculum. Students need to be given a chance to grow exponentially in every way possible. A way to do this is to allow students to be more creative, give them the opportunity to shine in areas that aren’t wholly academic and encourage them to have fun while doing it. Hopefully, my non-profit will come to fruition sooner than I think, but it seems to be a very distant dream.

For now, I have to focus on the present. This week is transition, the other teams are back and campus is over run with corps members. It’s nice to have everyone back, but I’m also feeling as if my space is being invaded. I do look forward to being able to hang out with friends for this next week as we participate in cross training, give presentations on our respective projects and discover more about Life After AmeriCorps. This week will most likely go by quickly as there is a lot to do, and it’s hard not to focus on what’s next.

I spent a good majority of my day today looking up Independent Service Project Opportunities in Mecca, Ca. I found about 3 pages worth of potential organizations and events to work with while my team is in Mecca, Ca for the next two months. I am hoping that my team will be able to participate in several of the events, and really become involved in the community. I’m hoping during my time in Mecca, I will be able to update at least once weekly. If I am unable, I will continue to write and post the updates whenever I get internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment