Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Onward

Journals from the Road:

It’s day one of our five-day road trip. I am in the van right now listening to The Road by Conner Oburst and the Mystic Valley Band. It is the perfect song to listen to as I stare out over the roadside scenery. It’s not even Noon and I have already seen mountains, plains and palm trees. I love this state; not only is the scenery beautiful but the people here are also genuine. Which probably sounds strange considering that Los Angeles is home to celebrities whom are typically considered to be the opposite of genuine. I have only met a few celebrities and they were basketball players, I don’t think that they count. It’s just seems as if people here are happier and friendlier. Honestly, I think the hospitality here rivals that of southern hospitality.

I’m looking forward to starting our project, I don’t really know what it will be like, I have tried to lower or eradicate my expectations. I am probably the only person who is not super stoked about going to New Orleans. I want to continue doing service projects and the 10 days of driving is taking away from my ability to do service. We will be working with KABOOM! for one of our projects and it’s probably the only part of the project that I can’t lower my expectations. I am hoping to be able to make a difference in my time there and leave a mark somewhere that isn’t on Bourbon Street. I didn’t join this program to drink and party all the time. I joined it for the service aspect. I’m not going to say that we don’t do that. It happens, when you put 18-24 year olds together, they generally find a way to have a good time. I just feel like sometimes other things, like hormones and hanging out, distract me. I am trying to refocus myself for this next project. I really want to be able to build my resume and develop skills that will help me advance my career.

Blargh… this is really boring information. At least California is beautiful.

On day two we stopped in at the worksite and visited with Alberto and Mario and the families before we left for New Mexico. It was really great to see them again and we were fortunate enough to be fed delicious Mexican food before we continued our journey east. The scenery is beautiful, but in some ways very redundant. As soon as we left California, I was ready to go back. I miss it already. I took some pictures from the road and I tried to think of things to do with my life. I’m pretty sure that the next few years are going to be inconsistent. Although knowing me my whole life will be inconsistent.

Driving/Riding in a fifteen-passenger van is hard. We’re are required to wear our seatbelts correctly which wouldn’t be a problem except that I often end up in the seat where the seatbelt is possessed and likes to get tighter and tighter as we drive. Whenever I sit in that seat I feel like I’m in a Steven King movie and can be seen struggling for the ability to breath comfortably. I am told that I shouldn’t sit in that seat, but I am often the last person in the van and sitting near the front is essential for me to combat motion sickness. Although, I haven’t experienced any since we started this ride. I don’t want to be annoying to my team by always sitting in the same seat all the time. Hopefully, I won’t bother them too much.

I’ve just arrived in New Mexico. It’s the first time I’ve ever been to this state and it looks strangely similar to Arizona. The rock formations and giant boulders are worth staying awake for. Actually, I don’t mind the similar scenery, I find it to be serene, and often feel content to drive/ride through it.

I really love the west and can see why people live here. I am actually very sad to be going back east, although, I am happy to be able to help restore such a historically rich and culturally diverse city.


No comments:

Post a Comment