Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 My Year in Review

If you don't feel like reading all those entries before this, here is a recap of my last year.

            2010 was probably one of the best years I’ve had. I traveled the country met hundreds of people, made tons of new friends and got to work on several different volunteer projects. I was able to fulfill not one but two of my goals: the first to donate a year or my life to community service, and the second to move to Boston, MA. This year has certainly been a roller coaster ride to say the least, I made friends, I got into arguments, I made up, I got into more arguments, I burned a few bridges, I reconnected with old friends, and I built a few playgrounds a long the way. I experienced love, heartbreak, depression, elation, I accumulated more debt, and I paid off some of that debt. And did I mention that I got to travel the country.
            This year was certainly memorable, and I’m doing my best to end the year the way it started. Today, I flew to Tampa from Boston, Ma with a layover in St. Louis Missouri. Traveling on the last day of the year seems so perfect considering I spent the last year of my life traveling. I’m hoping for an exhilarating night filled with fun, making new friends and hanging out with old. But who knows, this year has been crazy and unpredictable and I wouldn’t be surprised if I ended up driving to Miami or something instead. In any case here is a listing of my year in review.

Cities I’ve lived in 2010:
Sacramento, Ca – on a retired air force base
Mecca, Ca – in a four-bedroom apartment with 9 other people, most of my neighbors were illegal immigrants. I got to wake up to the most beautiful sunrise on the planet. 
Chalmette, LA – in a once flooded School turned into a volunteer housing camp, walking distance from the Ninth Ward.
Nashville, Tn – in a church, with cable T.V. a giant movie projector and the most comfortable couches I’ve ever sat on. I also spent the majority of my day-covered head to toe in mud. It was phenomenal. 
Chalmette, La – this time in a 3 bedroom duplex where I shared a bedroom with four other people.
Loganville, Ga – in my dad’s guest room while I searched for Jobs.
Watertown, Ma – in my new apartment, 10 miles from the most beautiful city in the world.

States I’ve traveled to or through in 2010
California – Not only did I live hear, but I traveled up and down the coast. I got to experience both northern and southern California. Also, I got to go to Disneyland, how awesome is that?
Nevada – for a fun filled, weekend in Lake Tahoe, as well as a stop in Vegas on the road trip home. 
New Mexico – Most of my time in New Mexico was spent in a 15 passenger van, but I did get to do some minor site seeing and go to a swimming hole. 
Arizona – Again, I traveled through Az on my trip to New Orleans and back.
Texas – I finally was able to see Texas. I hate Houston, in case you were wondering but Austin was pretty cool, and I hope I can go back some day.
Louisiana – I was in New Orleans for several months, working with the Recovery School District. I was able to build playgrounds with KaBoom, restore bikes and experience the dirty south. As much as New Orleans will never be home to me, in the months since I’ve left it’s finally rooted itself into my heart.
Mississippi – I don’t like to think about Mississippi, because I went here with a guy I was dating and he broke up with me while I was there. I still had fun and I picked up a new pair of rocket dogs, which are in a land fill somewhere cause I wore them out.
Alabama –  I drove through Alabama on our way to TN.
Georgia – Not only did I live in Georgia for several weeks, I drove through it several times.
Tennessee – I was here for flood recovery.
North Carolina – I went on a trip to North Carolina, with the guy that dumped me in Mississippi. Looking back, I’m happy that the short lived fling is done and over with. Florida – A good place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there, anymore.
Virginia – My disdain for this state goes beyond words, but I had to get to Massachusetts somehow and it was on the way. All I can remember about Va are crappy drivers and stupid people.
Maryland – I got to visit Annapolis and hang out with a friend and sing Karaoke.
Washington, D.C. – Which isn’t necessarily a state, but they do have their own license plates so I guess I should put it on. I also got to celebrate 4th of July in the nations capital. Now that’s a story for the ages.
New York – I went to upstate New York, and Brookyln, I also spent an hour and a half on the George Washington Bridge. I liked Rochester, but could do without seeing NYC ever again.
New Hampshire – I was able to spend the night in New Hampshire, before my job interview, I went to a Podunk town, but I have a feeling that New Hampshire is mostly country.
Massachusetts – I live here now. I was able to visit western mass, on a road trip and of course I live near Boston, so you know life is good.
Vermont– I drove through Vermont on my way to Montreal. I don’t remember much about Vermont other than, I stopped for coffee and was surprised to see snow covering the ground.
Quebec –  I went to Canada with my best friend, we hung out in Montreal for a few days and I got to try Pouitnne.
Pennsylvania– I had to drive through Pennsylvania, on my northeastern road trip and again on my move. I still haven’t been able to do Philly like I’ve wanted.
New Jersey– Again, I only drove through New Jersey, but I did have my gas pumped for me. Weird.
Missouri– I had a layover in Missouri on my last day of the year. It probably counts less than the states I drove through this year, but I’m adding it to the list just the same.
Connecticut - I had to drive through it on my way up to Mass, but I've also been there a few times with a friend, on such travels we always stop for Rein's Deli.

Places I worked for in 2010
WJUSD – Tutoring and mentoring high school students at Woodland High School in Woodland, California.
CVHC – Building houses and working in an after school program in Mecca, California
RSD – Doing a variety of projects for the Recovery School District, including painting murals, helping with fun days, and shredding documents in New Orleans, La.
FEMA – Mucking and gutting houses in Nashville, Tn after the flood.
SBP – mowing lawns, and doing whatever else the Saint Bernard Project asked of me in Chalmette, LA.
PG – Working with kids with multiple disabilities, in Watertown, Ma.

Things I had never done before in 2010.
Framed, mucked, gutted, and roofed houses, picked apples, skied , ate poutine, served crab to people, built playgrounds, organized a fundraiser, back country camped in Joshua Tree, visited Disney Land, ate a pastrami sandwiches and probably a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment