Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Pilgrims crossed the ocean and stole the land from the Indians and for that I am thankful.

Okay so probably not the best thing to be thankful for, but I am thankful for other things too.

Here's a list of ten things I'm thankful for:
1. My Best friend and very supportive family.
2. Having a job in this economy.
3. The new friends I've made in the Northeast.
4. Being young and not having anything to tie me down.
5. Having a roof over my head.
6. Finding a place to call home.
7. The last year of my life, I traveled the country with 8 amazing people and got to do things most people could never dream of.
8. My new city.
9. Pastrami Reubens from Rein's Deli.
10. and connections with other people.

Of course there are more things I'm for which I am thankful but it could take years to name everything I love about the world.

Last year for Thanksgiving I got up early and volunteered for the Sacramento Turkey Trot. I cheered on hundreds of runners and distributed so many high fives my hands were red. Afterward I sat down for a homemade feast. I spent the weekend with friends at Lake Tahoe and experienced many firsts. My first sled ride, my first snowball fight, building my first snowman.

This year I'll be breaking bread at work, eating dinner with the kids whose parents didn't come to take them home. We'll eat turkey and stuffing and watch cartoons instead of football. I'm positive that nothing will top last thanksgiving, but I look forward to be able to share the holiday with strangers and new friends.

Perhaps for me this year Thanksgiving will be more like the first one, the one when the Indians and the Pilgrims sat down together as strangers and left as friends. I mean they were friends for a while until the Pilgrims took land, passed on new diseases and tried to enslave their new friends. Why do we celebrate this holiday again?

Oh yeah, to give thanks. Thanks to all of you for reading my late night ramblings. I hope your holidays are happy and safe and your relationships turn out a lot better than one between the pilgrims and the Indians.

No comments:

Post a Comment