Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Procrastination

So, I have like a million things to do. Actually I have like 6-7 things to do, but I like to exaggerate, because I am very good at it.

Anyway, instead of concentrating on those 6-7 things and just getting them done, I am writing here. Obviously, or you wouldn't be reading this. I procrastinate often, I'm very good at it and then being ridiculously stressed out and taking it out on my favorite people. It's a habit, maybe not the best but a habit nonetheless.

One of the many ways that I like procrastinate is through the internet, I read blogs, watch You Tube videos and follow people on Facebook. Most of the time the people that I follow are the people that I knew in high school. I'm not sure why that is, in fact a lot of the "friends" I have on Facebook are people that I never really talked to in high school. I'm not even sure if they should be called friends. I'm not alone in this there are plenty of other people that have tons of "friends." I'm fairly confident that of the 4 or 5 hundred friends they have, they probably talk to about 50 of them intermittently. In reviewing my phone contacts, I have 250 contacts in my phone, I am not Facebook friends with all my phone contacts. For instance one of my phone contacts is Google*, and as much as I'd love to be Facebook friends with Google, it just hasn't happened yet. I dunno, I just think it's funny that the internet has really changed the way we interact with each other. Now if you want to know what happened to that guy you had a crush on in 8th grade, you can just look him up on Facebook. Perhaps, you want to know if that girl who used to spread rumors about you is failing at life, Facebook can tell you. (I don't know why you would be friends with someone who spread rumors about you, maybe you want to look more popular, either way Facebook can help you with that. It's also great for contacting the people you don't get to see very often because they moved away. I really like networking via the internet. I have twitter, a website, Facebook, 3 different blogs, and loads of emails.  However, I think it's starting to take away from the way we interact with people. Maybe I just need to write more hand written letters and make more postcards.

Perhaps the reason, I've got Facebook on the brain, is because I watched The Social Network  last night. The movie itself was fast paced (those guys talk a mile a minute) lots of artistic shots, and some great pics of Boston. The bridge that the Winklevoss twins rowed under is the bridge that leads into Watertown. That had to be pointed out to me, but it was interesting nonetheless. The story itself was interesting and well told. Perhaps, I liked it so much because I'm nearly always online. Partly because I take online classes, partly because I get bored and the internet has millions of websites that I can entertain myself with. And even because my real life friends have turned into internet friends. I need a hobby.

I really should finish reading for class and attend to those 6-7 other things I need to do today. In short, I recommend The Social Network. Although with how much movie tickets cost, maybe you should wait til it comes out on Netflix, or whatever other way you can get your hands on it for cheap. I kind of wonder if all of Mark Zuckerberg's facebook friends are friends IRL.

*If you text Google (466-453), they'll send you information. For instance if you're out on the town but really want to know the score to the Braves game, you can text "Braves Score" to Google and it will shoot you back not only the score but also when the next game is. This also works for college teams but you have to text "NCAAF" (for football) and then the team. So when I want to know the score for Florida or Florida State I text "NCAAF Florida" or "NCAAF Florida State"  and it sends me the score. It's phenomenal. I could write for days about how much I love Google.

No comments:

Post a Comment