Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving Turkey, Past and Pumpkin Pie

This year, I had Thanksgiving dinner at work. It was surreal. I celebrated the holiday with several students and staff from work. Our spread was bountiful, we had pasta, and tuna sandwiches, turkey, green bean casserole (my favorite) and pumpkin pie. I stood in the hallway watching the kids play with each other. I was sad at first thinking about how this was not the Thanksgiving tradition that I had grown up with. I hadn't watched the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade or any of the football games. Instead I slept until 2 preparing for a potential overnight shift. Luckily, I didn't have to work the overnight. All of the kids at my house were able to go home and spend the holiday with their family. I however, spent it at work. I missed my Grandmothers sweet tea and waking up early this morning to cash in on all the Black Friday deals. I missed out on the family gossip and sweet potato casserole. But Thanksgiving hasn't been the same in my family since my Grandmother died all those years ago. I no longer spend the holiday in Ga with my dad's family. In fact I can't remember the last time I had Thanksgiving dinner with any of my relatives. The holiday doesn't have the same magic as it used to. These last few years, I've done it a little different each time. But there was something about this year that was special. Perhaps it was because I didn't feel alone even though I was sure that I would. I thought that there wasn't any possible way for me to be able to connect considering that everyone I care about is so far away.

Another list for you, my top 10 favorite Thanksgiving memories:

1. Waking up at 3:30 am the day after Thanksgiving and going to Shoney's before hitting up the holiday madness and being the first in line to tell Santa Clause what I want for Christmas. (This year I want games and puzzles for the kids at work).
2. Handing out high fives to runners at the Sacramento Turkey Trot.
3. The Safety guy putting out fires in the 943 kitchen.
4. Mimosas and the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade.
5. Riding four wheelers.
6. Making my first snowman and enjoying the weekend off with my friends in Tahoe.
7. Hanging out with my Grandmother in the kitchen drinking the best sweet tea known to man.
8. Fighting with my cousin over who owns the Popple*.
9. Explaining to Londoners why it was so important to make Green Bean casserole on the last Thursday of November.
10. Spending time with my mom on one of the few days of the year she doesn't have to work.

Well, I hope everyone had a great time with their friends and families. Try not to get into a fight over Black Friday deals.

No comments:

Post a Comment