Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Americorps Profile Questions, Answered

I had to answer these questions for the Americorps Member Profile, I figured it might help answer some of your questions. Also if you want to know more about what I will be doing click here. If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to answer them. Leave them in comments or send them to sara@sarapens.com, I'm a compulsive email checker, although that should change soon.

How did you hear about the National Civilian Community Corps?

In my last semester of college I was undecided in what to do after graduation. I was taking a class in British Contemporary Theatre and researching Blasted by Sarah Kane. Certain scenes in her play mirrored images of the Bosnian Rape Camps that were happening at the time she penned it. I had found myself in a state of turmoil; I was angry that things like this could happen and I felt helpless that nothing could be done to help. Seeing my sincerity and my strong desire to make the world better, my instructor told me about different programs where I could fulfill my need to help others. After researching a variety of programs the National Civilian Community Corps was the most appealing, so I applied. I’m not sure if my time with Americorps will allow me to change the world, but I do think that this program will help me gain the skills I need to make an impact.

Why did you choose to do a term of National Service?

I applied for the program and the opportunity to help people in need and to get to travel while doing it. I honestly didn’t think about the fact that Americorps was a term of National Service. I am excited that I get to serve my country in some way, but I originally did it for the opportunity to help others, to step out of my comfort zone and push myself to the limit. I think that this program is by far one of the best government sponsored programs, not only does it help communities in need but it also builds leaders while doing it.

What were you doing before you decided to do NCCC?

I was in my last semester of college at Florida State University, when I started the researching and application process. I was also working full time at a Living History Museum, as a receptionist. I spent a couple hours a week volunteering for two local organizations in Tallahassee the Council on Culture and Arts and Big Bend Cares, Tallahassee’s AIDS service organization.

What do you plan to do after you have completed your term of service?

Unfortunately, I don’t know for certain. I am undecided between a few different career paths, including: pursuing a degree in nonprofit management so that I can start a traveling arts education program for under privileged schools, going back to college for a degree in child psychology, or embarking on a career as a high school theatre teacher who happens to write on the side. Fortunately, NCCC gives me ten months to develop skills so that I can either make up my mind or fall in love with something completely different.

No comments:

Post a Comment