Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Zipping down the Crooked Street, in the Rain

Every trip has a bad day. It’s bound to happen, you have to have a best day and a day that doesn’t live up to the best day; unless you go on a day trip, but in that case you just compare it to past day trips. Well, today was that day. My friend had to leave early in the morning to get back to school. Which meant I had to say goodbye, even in my groggy four am haze I was sad to see her go. It’s hard to imagine that after four years of having her around all the time now she’s on the opposite side of the country. So my day of course went from sad to worst.

My mom always in a hurry, to get a move on, she woke us up as early as possible. Understandably, we did have to move the car, but San Francisco decided to change its cool breeze to cold wet, wind-whipping weather. We drove through the rain my mom urging us to find something to do, and even though there was plenty we missed out on, it was hard to want to do anything in the dreary rainstorm. My brother drove to Lombardi street and we trolled slowly down the crooked street, which wasn’t as much fun as I had imagined it would be. Perhaps, if my mom had been behind the wheel, her blood pressure would have made her face turn purple as she agonized over every turn. That would have at least been slightly entertaining. So I snapped photos out the window and my family commented on the number of images I captured. It seems as though every bit of today was irritating.

We had to pick up some last minute supplies, during which I felt like I was bothering my brother. How irritating it must be to stand around while your little sister picks out long johns, mess kits and power cords. Thankfully, he didn’t complain about the annoying stops and just kind of went with the flow. Then we went to wine country, another point of interest he didn’t want to be a part of. It was cool to participate in a wine tasting, but I feel like the murkiness of the day, kind of made me feel like it wasn’t worth it. It was hard to enjoy the rolling hills covered in rows upon rows of grapes when the dark clouds loomed over us and the rain beat steadily against our windshield.

Sonoma is a quiet little town with kitch shops filled with overpriced merchandise and interesting wares. If it weren’t grey and wet out I might have even enjoyed poking in the stores playing with things that I’d never buy. We did find the Cheese Factory and purchased cheese and crackers to go with our wine tasting, but my cheese threshold is always smaller when I ride in cars. So I slept from Sonoma to Sacramento, where I had to say goodbye to my family. My mom cried, my brother gave me a hug and said “glad you got to see me” as per usual. Then they were off, and I was left alone to ponder what the next ten months of my life would be like. All in all the general attitude of today was just overwhelmingly sad.

I think perhaps, I was sad that I had to say goodbye to them, or perhaps that I am so anxious about tomorrow, I just wanted to get closer to campus so that it would all feel real. I have 8 hours before I check-in and somewhere in my head I still feel like this is all just a cruel joke. Like I’ll get there and they will turn me away, or Ashton Kutcher pops out laughing yelling “you’ve been PUNKED!” I don’t know why even after collecting all my documents, talking to my POD leader, and flying all the way out here, I still have some lingering doubt, but I do. As time progresses, I will get more and more used to the idea that yes this is real, and yes I am this fortunate. I also know that I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for certain people who have helped me along the way by either encouraging/reminding/urging me to finish the application, or writing my recommendation letter, or by just being there while I agonized over the whole process. So if I haven’t said it already. To those people, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment