Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Riding Through Bay Side



Day 2 in San Francisco we rented bikes and rode 9 miles or more to Sausalito. I huffed and puffed up the hills, usually having to get off half way up. I’m originally from the flat lands of Florida where anything above sea level makes my ears pop. The ride was refreshing though, we pointed at houses we’d love to own, someday. Took many a pictures of the skyline and dinged our bells as we passed pedestrians on the sidewalk. In San Francisco, and probably any city, you’re supposed to ride your bike on the street. I don’t trust cars, or myself for that matter so it has always been one of those rules that I’ve ignored, until a local told us off and we ended up spending the rest of the day in bike lanes. It was breathtaking to finally see the Bridge. It really is a marvelous piece of architecture, although it didn’t do anything to change my fear of heights or crossing bridges. I freaked out half way across when my brother came up behind me and started dinging his bell at me. Every time I looked over I’d hyperventilate. Like I said, I’m a flatlander, and Golden Gate is way above Sea Level for me. Some how I managed to make it all the way across and then I screamed all the way down the rolling hills into Sausalito. Pedestrians gawked, jumped in surprise, and chuckled to themselves as I passed them by.

Sausalito was a beautiful seaside town. As much as I hate the ocean I love seaside towns. Boston is my favorite city, I love the way it smells, tastes, looks and the way it makes me feel inside. I’ve never felt more at home then when I’m in Boston Commons spinning in circles with my arms wide open. I feel such a deep connection with that place that I’ve been bound to like anything that reminds me of it. With its sailboats and yachts tied off in the marina and the cool sea breeze gently waving by I very much enjoyed wandering through this quaint town. After we caught up to my mom who had zipped ahead trying to see as many of the shops as she could before we had to go back to San Francisco, we caught the Ferry across. Again, I have to say that Golden Gate is just a beautiful piece of architecture that adds nicely to the cityscape of the Bay. However when we got off the boat, I realized that I had some how lost my tickets in the twenty minutes of getting on to the ferry, and had to buy a new ticket. Looking back now I think I must have thrown it away, not understanding that you show your ticket at the end, not the beginning. I was aggravated and in a rush to get to Alcatraz but I begrudgingly paid for my mistake and we went on our way. And we rushed on, speeding through the Wharf trying to get to the bike shop, and then speed walking all the way to Pier 33 for our Alcatraz tour.

Alcatraz is one of those things that everyone says you have to see while you’re here. I don’t know if I could say the same. I think if you like history, old buildings, and typical museums, check it out. If that’s not your cup of tea don’t waste your time or money, as there is so much else to do. Overall, I’m happy I did it, but I don’t think I’d go back. It could have been that I was already miffed about looking like a dope in front of my family for losing my ticket.

In their eyes I’ve never been the put together one, they always seem so surprised when I come prepared to something. To the rest of the world, I may say crazy things but I generally have everything together. When I was a stage manager, people would come to me first because I always had a first aid kit, tools, or decent impromptu quick fix ideas. It’s kind of funny the stark contrast of the way my family views me to the way the rest of the world views me. Even if in general it makes me feel like the uninformed, useless one of the group amongst the people I’m related too.

After Alcatraz we walked a mile and half to this Restaurant called Chaya, deliciously expensive restaurant that happens to have a sushi happy hour. I’m sure it had other food but we stuck mostly with Sushi, which I didn’t regret. I had been craving San Francisco Sushi since before we arrived on the other side of the country. The Red Dragon Roll was delicious and the spicy tuna roll tasted like spicy tuna. After dinner we were lost as to what to do. Since my mom didn’t want to deal with car rentals in the morning and the group was having trouble once again on making decisions we hopped in a cab. I chatted up the cab driver while the backseat gossiped among themselves. My mom threw comments up my way. “Sara, do you just talk to everyone?” then to my friend “Is she always this friendly,” “She will just talk to anyone won’t she?” And on it went. I hate uncomfortable silence and when faced with having to sit in a cab with a man I’ve never met before, I’d rather make idle conversation then sit by quietly waiting impatiently to hop out of the car because of my discomfort.

My new Nigerian friend told us about how he loves this city and it’s nicer than Africa, that there was always something to do. Among the people I’ve polled on this trip, it seems that people in San Francisco are much happier with their city than those I’ve polled back east. He scammed a few more dollars out of my mom claiming to be confused as to where to go to rent a car. My mom rented the car for $150 more than she should have paid, and we drove back of course getting lost along the way. Finally back at the hotel, we ran into the sweet china man who had slipped information about the Peace Corps under my door. He didn’t understand the difference between Americorps and Peace corps, but it’s cool to see the impact that organization had on his life in his younger years. It makes me proud of what I’m about to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment