Saturday, October 24, 2009

Corps Training Institute CTI Part One




Since Wednesday, I have received my uniforms and the majority of my gear for the next ten months, and I’m excited to get started. I don’t know when or where my first spike will be, I don’t even know who will be on my team. We haven’t done very much in the first couple of days, mostly because we can’t really get started until we finish our physicals, and complete Baseline. Baseline is where they measure how fast you can run a mile and half, how many sit ups and pushups you can do in two minutes and how far you can reach in a sit and reach box. Luckily we’re allowed to do modified pushups, I can do a lot more modified pushups then I can regular pushups.

I have met so many different people, and kind of settled into a group that I spend most of my time hanging out with, I still bounce around from group to group. I like knowing that there are about 264 different people that I can hang out with. Everyone here is different, but we all have at least one thing in common. So it’s not hard to start conversations. For the most part I’ve never had trouble making friends; I’ve always been pretty outgoing. I am really excited about getting to work side by side with some of these people, but I know that I won’t get to hand pick who’s on my team.

I feel like I don’t have much to talk about, and I think that’s because so much has happened and I’m still processing it. My Pod, temporary team, had our first Project day, my team cleaned up a land park, we raked a pathway laid new composite gravel, pulled weeds, laid mulch, and cleared up some fallen limbs from the storm they just had. It was pretty fun getting our hands dirty, and I was happy that they had us jump right into the community. Our next project is either Friday or Saturday but I can’t say for sure. I don’t know what we’ll be doing but I’m excited to start.

About 6 of us from went to the grocery store to shop for two Pods, which is about 25 people, we bought over $400 dollars worth of groceries to last us a little over 3 days. I didn’t realize how much food it took to feed 25 people. There were other Pods shopping as well, so I’m sure WinCo was happy about the $2000 dollars it made in a little over an hour. They must love our business.

Last night me and another girl from my pod cooked for 25 people. We made stuffed bell peppers, and mashed potatoes, and better than sex cake. She was in charge of the better than sex cake, while I focused on the stuffed peppers. We had a few other girls come help us with chopping and prepping. I was pretty happy with them, although I do wish I would have added more flavors to the rice, but everyone seemed pretty happy with them in the end. Even the people who don’t like peppers at least liked the insides. We definitely cooked way more than we needed to. We’ll have leftovers for like a week.

Today my POD, minus a few, is going to Sacramento. Some have to stay behind for the Pack test. I didn’t want to be on the Fuel Reduction Team. As much fun as trail clearing, and lighting fires sounds, it’s not my thing. They light small fires to help reduce larger fires. There’s a name for it but I can’t tell you what it is. So on the pack test they have to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes with 45 pounds of weight on their back. Although I think I could do it, I don’t really want to try. So luckily I have a day off.

No comments:

Post a Comment