Friday, October 2, 2009

Sometimes, Life Hands You Deliciously Sweet Lemonade


I am in a state of shock, and awe. I’m anxious, excited and nervous about the possibilities that are going to arise out of the next year of my life. For the first time since I’ve arrived in Podunk, I feel alive. I received an email last night saying that I had been accepted to a program that I applied to in March. I didn’t think that they would actually accept me, so I had moved on. I started applying for jobs and tried to settle in Podunk, but it looks as though my life in Podunk isn’t going to be in Podunk anymore. I’m going to be in California, in 13 days. Less than that, even.
I’ve been accepted into the Americorps NCCC program’s Pacific Campus in Sacramento. I will be spending the next month of my life training for the 9 months of service that follow. I will be building houses, tutoring children, clearing trails, feeding the hungry and so much more. Not only that but I will be traveling throughout the West Coast to different communities to help with projects. It is the opportunity of a lifetime and even though I’m going to be up to my ears in debt after I get out, I’m going to grab this thing by the horns and embrace it. Of course I’m going to have to record my adventures and I plan to do so here. So I will be deleting a few of these entries to make this blog friendly for everyone.
I’m still waiting on my welcome packet and I have a lot of to do before I can even set foot on the plane. I have to find all of my paperwork. Get my bills in order and pack for 4 seasons. After I start my service, I won’t be able to update as frequently, but I want to document as much of my journey as I can. This is my chance to give back to the world, and I look forward to every second. Wish me luck as I embark on this grand adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment